Capacity-Building Grants and Awards
Some foundations give grants that are either partly or entirely focused on building an individual nonprofit’s organizational capacity.
- Often, these one-time or multi-year grants are made in the context of one or more issuebased portfolios at a foundation.
- Often, these grants are given to existing grantees and responsive to their specific capacity-building requests.
- Some foundations have dedicated organizational effectiveness portfolios through which they fund only capacity building.
- Some grantmakers integrate capacity building across all grantmaking, often to help facilitate the meeting of programmatic goals.
- Other funders are rewarding innovation in organizational effectiveness through specialized capacity-building funding, such as awards programs.
Takeaways are critical, bite-sized resources either excerpted from our guides or written by GrantCraft using the guide's research data or themes post-publication. Attribution is given if the takeaway is a quotation.
This takeaway was derived from Supporting Grantee Capacity.