Scanning Builds Relationships
Scanning does more than gather data; it makes connections. As a program officer at an American regional foundation described it, “Scanning is about more than just plucking information. The process of conducting a scan can help you develop relationships and connect more deeply with the grantee community.” A scan can help you:
- Get to know people and organizations working in the field
- Test ideas or funding strategies before committing significant resources
- Inform potential grantees about your funding interests
- Strengthen ties among people working on similar issues
- Be more accountable to the community or field
Takeaways are critical, bite-sized resources either excerpted from our guides or written by GrantCraft using the guide's research data or themes post-publication. Attribution is given if the takeaway is a quotation.
This takeaway was derived from Scanning the Landscape 2.0.